Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Ruffled Burlap Framed Chalkboards


I had some extra burlap left from the pleated burlap wreath I made last week so I decided to frame a chalkboard with it. 

So. Stinkin'. Easy. 


Here's what you'll need.





Step 1: Lightly sand and clean your wood. 

Step 2: Squirt a couple of small dollops of the chalk board paint on the wood.


Step 3: Using the roller spread the paint evenly on the wood. 

(I did 2 coats.)

Step 4: Take your burlap (you'll need about 2 1/2 times as much the perimeter of your piece of wood) and sew it into a ruffle. 

For ruffle tutorials click HERE, HERE, and HERE.   

Step 5: Using your glue gun, glue the ruffle in sections to the perimeter.  


Step 6: Rub chalk over the surface of your board to treat it and wipe it off when you're ready to write a message. 

You're done! 

Did you realize that was less then 10 steps?!

Obviously I forgot to write something deep and profound on mine before I took the pictures, but you get the idea. :)




Total cost:

Burlap: Left over, about $1.00

Chalkboard paint: $3.00 (w/coupon at Michael's and I barely used any of it.)

Wood, chalk, roller, glue gun: Free (already had on hand)

Total: $4 or less

Yay for burlap. :)




Pin It

10 comments:

  1. So cute and easy! Totally love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, it looks really simple and turned out great. I am a new follower via GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So stinkin cute! Chalkboards and burlap, what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made a ton of chalkboards, but I never would have thought of this! Great idea!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable idea!! Pinning this! Love the burlap frame, I can think of so many ways to use this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julia! Here from Primitive and Proper, and now following you. I love to fix up ugly ducks too, would love to connect. Hugs, Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this!! Burlap, ruffles, chalkboard...what more do we need!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO CUTE! I've never seen a chalkboard like this, and it's hard to be original among all these creative peeps! I'm your newest follower-(found you thru Restore Interiors)-please stop by my new blog and say hi!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. In this post very nicely decorate your chalkboard. In this post beautifully describe ten steps for decorate your chalkboard. You have done very creative work.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all of your thoughts and comments! They bring a smile to my face!